Honest moment: I love dips. (Who doesn’t!?) Dips just make eating veggies so much more fun.
What I don’t love are the over-processed, additive-laden, high-sodium dips that line many of the supermarket shelves.
In general, I suggest store bought hummus as a healthier alternative to other dressings—but it can be expensive, and even the stuff branded as “healthy” can have high fructose corn syrup, tons of sodium, and other not-so-great ingredients.
So…I decided to give homemade hummus a whirl. Like everything I make, I gave it a little twist.
This is a hearty spread with tons of protein, fiber, and flavor! I’d recommend a serving size being about 2 tablespoons, and trust me—this will fill you! (Note: Even though this hummus is filled with good stuff, it should be consumed in moderation because of its calorie content!)
- 4 15-oz cans of drained garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Tahini Paste/Sesame seed butter
- 2 ½ tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 4 tbsp. minced parsley
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, or to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- The juice of ½ lemon
- The zest (grated skin) of a small lemon (ZZZZZest!)
- 1 tbsp. minced basil leaves
- ½ large Avocado or 1 small avocado
- 1 organic tomato, chopped, to top the hummus as presentation
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
2. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least four hours. (The flavors strengthen overnight.)
3. Chop tomato, and serve on top of hummus (optional)
4. Enjoy being the “coolest mom ever” when you serve this to your kids…or the “favorite employee” when people try to steal your lunch.
Note: if you keep your hummus in an airtight container in the fridge, it will last for around a week. Save money on shopping and know what you’re eating!
Eat this with…veggies, like bell peppers, carrots, celery, chopped jicama, and more! Or, use up to 2 tbsp. as a hearty salad dressing. If you eat whole wheat bread, this makes for a wonderful “mayo” substitute to spice up any healthy turkey sandwich! ENJOY!