This delicious salad takes just minutes to throw together and adds color and fun flavors to any meal! It is perfect for a light dinner or as a side salad to any lunch or dinner entrée. It should be noted that it holds for approximately 3 days—but it’s so delicious that it’s usually gone by then anyway!
(This recipe makes approximately 1 meal-sized serving or 2 side servings)
- 1 package of heirloom tomatoes, organic (the more colorful—the better!) (this is approximately 3 cups of a variety of heirloom tomatoes)
- 1 small red onion (you’ll only need about ¼)
- 1 tbsp. crumbled feta or your desired amount of fresh mozzarella or –if you don’t do cheese products, skip this step! The salad is delicious without the addition of cheese.
- ½ tbsp. fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. organic Italian dressing (I use the creamy Italian from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- just a pinch of Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Wash, dry, and halve all tomatoes. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- In a small dish, combine the balsamic vinegar and Italian dressing (of your choice). Once mixed, pour over tomatoes. Stir this mixture gently. (Do this first so that the tomatoes can “marinate” while you prepare the other ingredients.)
- Chop approximately ¼ of a red onion (or your desired amount) into thin pieces. Add the mixture to your tomatoes.
- Add basil and feta or mozzarella to the mixture.
- Mix thoroughly albeit gently, so you do not crush the tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!