Okay, so people generally know that eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains are healthier than chemically-created “foods” made in factories, but with (scary) scientific and medical discoveries in recent years that show the correlation between high levels of pesticides in meat, fruit, and vegetables, and problems like cancer, it has become quite apparent that not all “natural” foods are necessarily safe.
So, what foods are safe?!
Well, we know Organic foods are safest, but buying everything organically is not realistic (if you have a family or are on any sort of budget).
The following list is comprised of findings from the USDA and the Environmental Working Group. I have listed the 10 more important foods to definitely buy organic, and the top 10 foods you can buy “conventional” if you’re (like most people) on a budget.
2. Chicken and other meats
3. Strawberries (Upon testing, strawberries contained up to 13 pesticides in them—and with large surface area bumps, these pesticides can be tough to wash off)
4. Apples, applesauce, and apple juice (Apples are always on the “Dirty Dozen” list that the Enviornmental Working Group puts out, and they are usually near the top because of pesticide residue—which also makes its way into non-organic applesauce and apple juice.)
5. Celery (for a food that is mostly water, celery contains more than 60 different pesticides when tested.)
6. Spinach, collared greens, and Kale
8. Sweet bell peppers
9. Grapes, grape juice & wine
10. Imported nectarines
10 Foods You That Are Safe to Buy Buy Conventional:
2. Bananas (their outer layer keeps them relatively safer)
6. Sweet Peas
9. Cantaloupe (from the USA)
I hope this list helps you as you do your weekly shopping!