UH-MAZING Chocolate Chip Cookies (Paleo-friendly, Gluten-Free, Low GI, Heart-Healthy, All Natural, Vegetarian & Vegan)
The story behind the cookies goes a little something like this: my charming boyfriend is doing the Paleo thing. As a whole, he is quite healthy—but as per the Paleo diet, he is trying to stay away from wheat (and refined carbohydrates like pastas, breads, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.). In general, I do not eat many of these items (except quinoa), and bake mostly with Gluten-free flours (a variety), but the Paleo regune requires a little more effort than the Gluten-free regime.
Luckily, I know enough about nutrition in the kitchen to know what I can substitute, what flabors work, and well, sometimes I get lucky! The following recipe is Boyfriend-Approved, Kid-Approved, and Mom-Approved. These cookies are perfectly satisfying (and even more wonderful when warm)!
Note: these cookies do not taste Paleo. They taste real and hearty; they are fluffy—and yes, even moist.
- 2 cups organic, unrefined coconut flour
- ¾ c. virgin, organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 2 bananas
- 1/3 c. pure maple syrup
- 2 Omega 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. organic Vanilla Extract
2 cups Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (these are Paleo friendly, Dairy-free, and Gluten free)
- ½ c. almonds
- 2 tbsp. honey (optional; some include this as a “moderated” item that Paleo diet followers can eat)
- ½ c. chopped dates (optional; this is considered an item to be had in moderation by Paleo diet followers)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, mix all ‘wet’ ingredients (coconut oil—make sure it is warm or in liquid form, pure maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract), and honey—if you are using it.
- In a small bowl, use a Potato Masher to mash 2 bananas (the riper the better!)
- Fold bananas into wet ingredients.
- Add coconut flour to ingredients; stir until thoroughly mixed. (Note: coconut flour is a very dry flour. If you notice the dough is too dry, you can add another mashed banan, coconut oil, or pure maple syrup to create consistency).
- Once dough is mixed (see picture for a good ‘reference’), add in ½ c. chopped almonds and Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and chopped dates (if you choose).
- Form into cookie shapes (the dough does not change shape much in the oven, so make the cookies as flat or as thick as you want them to be! I prefer chewy cookies!)
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cookies are firm to the touch.